POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER POSITION IN MALDONADO LAB, UC Davis
Postdoctoral Researcher position in the laboratory of Dr María Maldonado in the Department of Plant Biology, UC Davis, to carry out projects in biochemistry and structural biology. The selected candidate will lead independent research projects to understand the structure, molecular mechanism and evolution of mitochondrial and photosynthetic complexes/supercomplexes using single particle cryo-EM as a major approach. Projects will entail organelle isolation, membrane-protein purification and biochemical, biophysical and spectroscopic experiments. The candidate will also train and mentor graduate and undergraduate students in the lab.
Essential qualifications: Graduate degree (PhD or equivalent) in biochemistry, biophysics, plant biology or structural biology. Demonstrated interest in structural biology. Ability to work independently and dependably in a fast-paced research environment. Solid organizational skills and pro-activity. Strong interpersonal, communication and decision-making skills. Ability to work well independently and as a part of a team.
Advantageous qualifications: Prior experience with cryoEM, membrane proteins or experimental approaches to study photosynthetic pathways are a plus.
Candidates should email Dr Maldonado their CV, a statement of purpose detailing experience/career goals/why they are interested in the position, as well as contact information for 3 references. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis.
• Design and carry out experiments using techniques including membrane protein purification and single-particle cryo-EM.
• Collect, analyze, and present data in group meetings and external conferences.
• Maintain complete and detailed experimental records and notes.
• Work with the Principal investigator to prepare high-quality peer-reviewed manuscripts and grant submissions to pursue funding opportunities.
• Provide peer review and feedback on manuscripts and grants.
Lab management (10%)
• Provide technical support and mentoring for junior researchers.
• Contribute to lab maintenance and organization.